Friday, July 26, 2019

Capitol Canada 5222, 5234 and 5235 from AHDN



The movie "A Hard Day's Night" was released across Canada in August, 1964.  In early July the first single from the soundtrack, Capitol 5222, "A Hard Day's Night / I Should Have Known Better" was released.  Two more singles followed later in July.

Saskatoon: Beatles' fans line up for the premier of AHDN.   

Approximately 5000 of the first pressing of Capitol 5222 were housed in an imported U.S. east coast picture sleeve.  The earliest labels assigned music publishing credits to Unart and Maclen. Within a short period the credit was changed to Maclen only.  The very first pressing with Unart and Maclen credits is the most desirable issue for the collector. 


U.S. ad for the singles from A Hard Day's Night. In the U.S. "I'll Cry Instead" was 
released in a picture sleeve while in Canada it was released in a stock Capitol sleeve. 

Later in July, 1964, Capitol released "I'll Cry Instead" backed with "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" and "And I Love Her" backed with "If I Fell". While the "Hard Day's Night" single was a number one hit the second two singles did not do as well. "I'll Cry Instead" was a relatively poor seller and "And I Love Her", which came in a US picture sleeve, charted only slightly better.

This 45 RPM was not released with a picture sleeve.





The U.S. imported sleeve for the Canadian release.

Below are recent valuations of Excellent to NM copies. 

2018 - Capitol 5222 "Hard Day's Night" first pressing with Unart music publishing credits in a Capitol company sleeve $25.00
2018 - Capitol 5222 "Hard Day's Night" picture sleeve only $90.00
2017 - Capitol 5234 "I'll Cry Instead" w/company sleeve $40.00 
2017 - Capitol 5235 "And I Love Her" w/company sleeve $40.00
2017 - Capitol 5235 "And I Love Her" picture sleeve only $63.00
  

No comments:

Post a Comment